Monday, January 02, 2006

Lost: Sense of Reality

I am not very good at making Resolutions. Or rather, I am very good at making resolutions, but also very good at breaking resolutions. It has gotten to the point where I dont even think i should put up the pretense when I know that I am setting myself up for a fall from the heights of unrealistic expectations. I think part of the problem is that I have an overactive imagination that tends to run away with my expectations rigth around this time of year. I think if I put out a lost and found ad for it it might read:

LOST
Sense of Reality.

Last sighted by me in the mid 1990's dressed in red plaid flannel and wide whale brown corduroy pants. Might be disguised in resolutions around New Year's, romantic Valentines in mid-February, clad in bouquets of flowers around Mother's day and lingering around turkey during holiday gatherings.

Could be considered dangerous if one is near rock bottom.

Often accompanied by Overactive Imagination, High Expectations and Illogical Reasoning. Be warned that these companions are a bad influence and may lead one's Sense of Reality further astray.

Use caution when approaching.


I am trying to rein things in this year, even as I start with a level of stress that may be considered lethal in most cases. I am trying to give myself permission to take things one at a time, to not overplan for things I dont know I can commit to, to take the exciting plunge into the unknown. I am trying to tell myself that I have to look out for our families best interests because no one will do it for me. And so though I havent made official resolutions, I obviously have made a decision to make a concerted effort to accomplishment. Maybe i should call a spade a spade and move on.

And so it goes...

No comments: