Thursday, August 03, 2006

I Think It's Going to Rain Today...


"Broken windows and empty hallways,a pale dead moon in a sky streaked with grey.Human kindness is overflowing,and I think it's gonna rain today..."

This past week has been a bit of a mixed bag. The sun has been playing peek a boo with the rain, and losing most of the time. The odd bits of sun we get only serve as a teaser when the bluey grey clouds roll over it and wet down all the stuff that just dried off.

"Lonely, lonely.Tin can at my feet,I think I'll kick it down the street.That's the way to treat a friend..."

Inside, things are not faring so much better. I get one area of the house neat and my indoor tornadoes come and tear it all apart again. We get one not quite working bit fixed up and then something else springs a leak. I finally get all the cat hair off the floor and then we dog sit and suddenly, not only does it smell like wet dog, it is wet dog.

"Bright before me the signs implore me:Help the needy and show them the way.Human kindness is overflowing,and I think it's gonna rain today..."

In my head, much of the same. I send out email and get none in reply. I tear through lesson plans only to find no gems in the midst. I have a quibble with the hubby and it stretches out the whole week.

"Lonely, so lonely.Tin can at my feet,I think I'll kick it down the street.That's the way to treat a friend..."

I am tired and the rain is overwhelming me a bit. There arent enough sunny breaks and I feel like the steady beat of the showers wash away parts of me that I am trying to hold onto.

"Bright before me the signs implore me:Help the needy and show them the way.Human kindness is overflowing,and I think it's gonna rain today..."

Sometimes I wonder how I got here, this place so far from where I had imagined myself going. I keep telling myself that it is all about the journey, that the here and now are simply passages that will lead me to a different here and a different now and whether or not it is better or brighter rather depends more on me than anything else. I tell myself this, but I don't know if I believe it today.

Lyrics by Bette Middler "I Think It's Going to Rain Today" from the Beaches soundtrack

1 comment:

Jane said...

Just keep reminding yourself '...........and this too shall pass ;)