Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Holidailies: Let it Snow

"Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire inside's delightful..."

After an unseasonably and rather grim November, I am taking great pleasure in the falling snow and the snap in the air. There is something youthful and revitalizing about the rosy cheeks on everyone I pass and the starkness of the snow covers up all the grey brown bare branches and dead grass. There are those who think that I am crazy for liking the weather, for revelling in the toe-numbing windchills and the frostbite warnings. I guess that over the years I have learned that I can't wish away the weather, no matter how much I detest icy roads and stupid drivers, so instead I revel in the moment. I know, it's so cheesy and chummy and warm fuzzy silver lining-y to think that way, but there it is. Another thing I think that I have dispensed with as time has passed is apologizing for the way I feel.

On that note, I am reading a book about censorship in children's books. Well, I guess "Places I Never Meant to Be" isn't really a book about censorship as it is a short story collection by a bunch of authours who have pooled their talents and resources to bring an awareness about censorship to the public. In it, the authors pull no punches about writing the things that are on their minds, writing about content that editors might label as "edgy" or "mature" when in reality they are simply writing what they know. And what kids are experiencing and want to read about. Knowing what to write about is 90% of the battle, isn't it?

Holidailies is a great forum, a way to entice new readers and find new audiences to devour the words that are written on this oh-so-tenuous connection. It is also a place where I am sure people write with a complete awareness that others are watching--would you post in Holidailies otherwise? Readers might include those who nod and agree silently in their little corner of the world, or might also include some who would get all fired up and blast the author for voicing the darknesses of their closets. Some people are afraid of skeletons, even in closets that are not of their own making. I'd be lying if I said I didnt write without something in mind. What kind of writer would I be otherwise?

And though I like to think that I write with impunity, I have a family and a duty to protect them from the crazies who might be out there. That said, I try not to censor myself too heavily. I write what I like, say what I know and admit when I am wrong. Although if you try to convince me that post partum depression is caused by some vitamin deficiency, I might have to kick you. I pull no punches and keep laundry lists of things I do so that my swiss cheese memory isnt completely responsible for keeping my children clothed and fed on time. If this makes me a bad mother or lousy writer, keep your opinions to yourself. If you think that it is reasonable to have off days, snowy days, and holiday cheer all rolled into one, stay awhile.

"...and if you've no place to go, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow..."

No comments: