Wednesday, November 30, 2005

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...


"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, everywhere you go...."

Yes, it's true, the time for Holidailies is coming upon us and soon, dear readers, you shall be innundated with more updates than you can shake a stick at. You will be amazed at the frequency of updates and marvel at the amount of drivel that can be espoused on a daily basis here on this very page. Now that NaNo is complete, I still have wordiness in abundance and need an outlet to put it all, lest it make me crazy, er, crazier.

Speaking of crazy, some people believe that I am crazy to be thinking of putting up our Christmas decorations and tree and have an issue with Christmas. More specifically, they have an issue that Christmas seems to appear earlier and earlier every year. This year, for example, stores that felt that they were too "posh" to put up Halloween decorations, decided to begin hanging Christmas ones up instead. So, Christmas in October? A bit extreme. But right now with the snow falling softly and the chill in the air feeling crisper, I am beginning to feel like it really is looking a lot like Christmas. So complete money-grabbing retailers aside, I like the idea that December=holiday season.

I am the type of person who likes to go "all out" at Christmas--decking the halls, and the walls and the windows. And if I am going to go to so much trouble to out it all up, why not have it up for a while so I can truly appreciate the spirit of the season? My husband is a very tolerant person whose only stipulation is that all decorations be put up after Remembrance Day so that there is honour in the memory of all who fell so that we could enjoy peace (although truthfully he'd prefer I wait until after November). We have a compromise that I can only put up Christmas decor early when (and if) I have completed the NaNo challenge. This usually does a few things: it guarantees that I am pushing myself to finish as soon as possible and it usually means that he has bought himself at least until the last week in November before he sees tinsel on the carpet.

The spirit of Christmas is all about compromise. Or at least it is here.

No comments: