Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Done NaNoWriMo 2005!





Image hosted by TinyPic.com

I DID IT!!!!


Well NaNoWriMo is drawing to a close, and tonight, amid various word warring compatriots,

Image hosted by TinyPic.com



It is amazing how much power a challenge can have. That no matter how down I felt about writing, how many days I let myself lapse, either due to sheer laziness or inability to see how to mesh the 5 story lines I had originally imagined flowing like water together, I still soldiered on. The story is a long way from complete, the threads between characters is slim and a bit more contrived than they ought to be, but nonetheless, I set out to type 50,000 words in the month of November and I achieved my goal.

Goals haven't always been enough motivation to spark such fervor in my life. In fact, every January I set goals for myself. Things I plan to accomplish, things I hope to achieve. But I think the difference here is the unbelievable network of support (and peer pressure) to never give up, to never let go, to keep on trucking even when the thought of it makes you sick with anticipation. I think that if everything had that sort of support you would always feel like you could accomplish anything.

You could, for example, write a novel in 30 days.


No comments: