Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Ridiculous Allure of New Things

I have this thing . I guess you might call it a compulsion, a problem, a difficulty. You see, I like to accumulate stuff and part of the reason that I accumulate so much stuff is because I have a hard time opening things and using them. Yes, it sounds odd because they are often things that I want to use, want to eat, want to play with. But there is something about the allure of new things in shiny packages and sealed plastic that makes me pause in my tracks. CAse in point, over Christmas my mother gave me a few tins of candy. Very cute little tins that came from some posh hotel that she bought as a remembrance and thought that we might enjoy. Well, I just cracked the first tin open becuase I am moving and frankly, I dont have room to store little tins of candy and boxes of chocolates and bins of crackers. Even if the packages are delightful and I really do like the look of them. And besides which , I know my mother didnt purchase these itesm to accumulate dust in my cupboards, she bought them to be consumed and thrown away. I know this. But it is still hard.

The newness factor comes into play with more than just candies, though. I have notebooks and pencils, scrapbooking items and bath stuff that is just sitting here and know that it is all quite ridiculous but I cant do much about it. Well, until now, that is. I have resolved to put aside my "like it so shiny" ways and am working on polishing off this little tin of jelly candies and enjoy every last one of them, dammit. Because I can. And I should. Because who on earth will want to see a freaking tin of petrified candies. Upon unearthing it, they would undoubtably shake their heads and ask one another "Why didnt she just eat them?"

Why indeed.

No comments: