Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Conversations with Natalie: 6 weeks along


Well, it has been just over 6 weeks since Natalie and I have had face to face conversations.

In utero our conversations consisted mostly of me discussing which body part I thought I could identify from the way they stuck out of my sides (mostly) and where the baby's bum was relative to the head. It wasnt quite gripping conversation but it did eventually evolve into the poke game that I played with all the babies--baby would kick or punch me, i would poke back in the general vicinity of the kick and the baby would kick again. Lather, rinse, repeat. Many of our conversations revolved around me commenting loudly about baby settling down in there or finding a better place to put feet than inside my ribs. Scintillating, I know.

In the 6 weeks than have passed, however, our conversations have a decidedly more food centric focus. I often find myself saying things like "What do you mean you want more? There is no more. Milk bar needs to refill for awhile. Why dont you, like, have a nap or something?" or "Hi baby! Time to wake up now so that the milk you build up cluster feeding last night is now ready for you! Baby? Hello? Bueller?"

But in the last week or so, things have taken an exciting turn--she is now more awake AND is interested in doing something other than eating. Yes, indeed, I can catch her looking at the faces around her and can persuade her to coo at least 5% of the time. Not a good track record but hey, I was batting zero before so anything is an improvement, right?

It is an exciting time, watching her unfold like this, moment to moment; even though I have done this three times before, each one is so miraculous as they move from internal parasite to external one to independence. I am enchanted with her and cant wait to see her fierce character develop into her true voice.

No comments: